Monday, February 23, 2009

Some Religious Humor

I've been talking about some very serious issues in the past several days, so I thought it would be nice to have a post with some humor and a more laid back discussion. I watched the movie Religulous this weekend. It was very entertaining, had some great comedic moments, and also had a touch of sad seriousness. I was a little sad it didn't cover more religions though. It covered Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Mormonism. I recommend seeing it regardless of your beliefs. Its both entertaining and I bet you'll learn a thing or two.




This is a video clip from George Carlin's stand-up act. I know its not meant to be taken seriously, but I think he makes a very good point about sun worship. Worship of the sun makes more sense to me than worship of some invisible being whose existence can not be verified. Everyone can see or feel the sun. We know for a scientific fact that were in not for the sun, we could not exist. Indeed, many ancient civilizations did worship the sun, or attribute some personification to the sun and worshiped that. Perhaps the reason that people don't worship the sun now is that we know the sun is nothing but a star. A big giant ball of burning gas that will eventually run out of fuel and its existence will cease (as well as all life on Earth). Kind of sucks when you compare it to the Abrahamic personal God who is an intelligent being and cares very deeply about every tiny aspect of your life, loves you no matter what, and is always ready to forgive you for being you.



Finally here is a funny clip I found this morning. This is from a new Comedy Central show called Important Things with Demteri Martin. It is a fake advertisement for a new rat extermination product that uses religious differences to cause rat colonies to self-annihilate one another. The punchline at the end is especially ironic. "And I can feel good about it [killing the rats] because they are dying for something that they believe in".

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home