Saturday, January 21, 2006

Recovered at Last

It's been a month since my last post and nothing much has happened. And that is a good thing. Finally, I have been able to rest, recover, and rejuvenate my battered pysche. It's amazing how much better I am now. Compared to myself a month ago, it's like night and day. When I got back to Phoenix, I pretty much did nothing but sleep 12-15 hours a day and play video games for the first 12 days or so. After that, I suddenly became myself again, and I started being able to feel emotions, and especially happiness. So let me tell you, it's great to be myself once again. I'm determined to do anything I can to prevent my life (and my blog) from turning into the pathetic state that it was in for most of last year.


Enough about that. Allacrost has seen a huge burst of activity and productivity in the last 3-4 weeks. We went on a hiring spree in the first week of January and got an amazing number of applicants. We have since hired two programmers and two artists, and more could be on the way. I love it when we're this productive, even though it's a little more taxing on me because people want my input into just about everything they produce sometimes. :) We're also releasing a lot more information and content regarding the game, in the form of a wiki which I absolutely love. The wiki is going public on Monday, and I'm kind of hoping that it will help generate more public interest among the project.


I've also been thinking about getting back into translating, which I haven't done since August last year. But I'm going to commit to only a fraction of what I used to (like a chapter every week or two instead of an entire volume every week or two). That way I can keep up this hobby and not let the pressure it once put on me become too great. I will admit that for a while I was considering abonding translation altogether, or perhaps seeking a different, less abusive group to work with, but I'll give it a second chance.


I started work at Freescale on the 11th of this month and I'm working 25 hours a week currently. It's nice being able to work for them again, especially since it's only part-time. School started up on the 17th, but I didn't have my first class till the 20th. The two classes I'm taking this semester (in addition to a thesis course) are: 10 Unsolved Questions in Neuroscience, and Introduction to Theoretical/Computational Neuroscience. Both are three hours long (yuck), but only one day a week (yay) and are actually being co-taught at UT Houston, so they are being telecast to Austin half the time (weird). I haven't had the theory/comp course yet, but I had the 10Q course on Friday and it seems pretty interesting. I hope these two courses help me to figure out whether I really want to do this whole neuroscience PhD thing or not, which by the way I am still undecided on. Recently I did finally change my preference to choosing the job over choosing the PhD after getting some opinions from random people on a forum and from talking to an old friend, Hillary. Hillary and I worked at Ra sushi back when I was still an undergrad and I worked at a sushi bar during summers/winters. She's a really good friend, and one of the few people who I can be totally open with and not feel uncomfortable around. It's kind of weird, because she and I come from such different worlds (she's studying photography and accounting, I think), but I always feel great talking to her.


Anyway, here's to hoping that my blog actually becomes something semi-interesting instead of a place for me to whine and complain about my mental issues. Ha ha.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently I did finally change my preference to choosing the job over choosing the PhD [...]

Hmm??? Does this mean you're not going into the neuroscience Ph.D. program? I'm confused.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Tyler Olsen said...

I'm not sure yet. I'm going to put off the decision as much as I can, but if I had to choose right now, I'd probably take the job. Talking to several people made me realize that a great offer like the one I got from Freescale isn't going to land on my lap everyday, and I think I got a little complacent since they just keep hiring me back there again and again and again. I think that I need to be better informed of what I'll be getting myself into if I go into neuroscience, because right now I hardly know anything about the field, other than I like everything I've studied about it so far. :)


What I'm thinking of now is going to work for Freescale for a year and seeing how things go there. After a year of working there and studying neuroscience material on my own time, if I still feel interested enough in the program, I can always re-apply and see where that takes me. That doesn't sound like such a bad option, and maybe I should take a break from the riggors of grad school life anyway.

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home