Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Swimming and junk

So last summer I really started getting into swimming at the end of summer, in addition to running. I think the farthest I swam last summer was 800 meters or so. Well today I blew that record out of the water (pun intended). I just swam 4,000 feet, (1.2 kilometers, or 0.76 miles) without stopping once. It was totally spur of the moment too. And to top it off, I ran 6 miles this morning as well. And I'm not even close to being in my prime shape right now, so I'm going to keep pushing myself further. :)


A lot of people (mostly the non-athletic ones) tell me I'm crazy when I say these types of things. In fact, one of the co-authors of the paper I submitted a couple weeks ago accused me of trying to kill myself. >_> Well, in addition to being good for your body, yadda yadda, there are two main reasons that I try to stay in shape (and haven't done a very good job at it in the last 5 years). The first is increasing self-confidence, in which I am in short supply lately. The second is...more complicated. I haven't felt like myself for 4 years now. Either that or, I don't like who I've now become. All that I know is that in my prime (when I was 17 and a senior in high school) I was at the best I've ever been in my life. I was good at sports, unstopable in school, and maintained (gasp) good relationships. It was the happiest I've ever been in my entire life, and during that time I ran and worked my butt off. So I hope that if I run/swim/exercise enough, I'll remember who I used to be. Or something like that. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just walking down the totally wrong path in life. Even though I like what I'm doing (engineering and stuff) its been dominating my life for too long and I feel like I want out. I dunno...ok time for me to pass out in a corner somewhere >_>

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Engineering is your major. I hate to break this to you, but unless you get an MBA or go for a total career change, it's going to dominate the rest of your life.

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home