Sunday, August 28, 2005

I am PUMPED!

I have been getting more and more into Allacrost lately than I have in a very long time. I literally wake up and work on code, documentation, and other issues from morning to night and don't even blink in between. It feels great. I haven't been so excited about this game since around August/October of last year. =D I cringe at the thought of classes starting on the 31st though, because then the amount of time I'll have to spend on Allacrost is going to decline rapidly. :(

You know what I find ironic though? I think I am learning more just working on this game than I am going to graduate school. I mean, reading and writing published papers in my field doesn't teach me CRAP! I feel its almost a complete waste of time (though I know it's necessary). That's one of the things that I really dislike about grad school. I'm the kind of guy that likes to go out and do things, not just read about things and then say "Hmm, okay." and not actually produce anything. Knowledge that is absorbed strictly through reading is much much easier to be forgotten (I read this in a scientific study somewhere). I prefer reading articles in Scientific American and Wired SOOO much more than tecnhical papers, and I actually feel I learn a lot more from them than technical papers as well. Half of all the writing in most technical papers is just motivation, previous work, and other bullshit that you is pretty much copy/pasted from other papers in the field.

Oh, by the way the paper I submitted to IISWC got rejected, and rightfully so in my opinion. I didn't think it was a very good paper, and I had practically no time to work on it because I was so busy with work. If I had my way, I would never submit a paper if I didn't feel completely confident in it. Who gives a shit if you publish 20 papers a year? It doesn't mean anything if they all suck, or they just aren't that interesting. I want the research I do and publish to be of actual importance to people, not just another piece of hay in the stack, you know? Whatever. Time to get back to writing code for my game. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home